2.18.2009

That's Why They Call 'Em Snow Bunnies

Yesterday was the first time I've ever gone snowboarding! First things first, the company was great! I went with two guys, Brad and Chris. Brad invited me and Chris came to teach us. Brad had never been before either. It's funny because all three of us have red hair. Chris had blue eyes, like mine, and Brad's are hazel. So, we probably looked like we were all out for a family excursion. :o) Chris is probably the 4th or maybeeeee 5th hott redhaired guy I've ever seen, and that was fabulous because really, it gives me hope for my boys. :o) Anyway, we went to Snowbird. So we get out there and Chris showed us how to work the bindings and walk in it and all that stuff. It was kinda uncomfortable walking with my foot turned in and I'm sure I looked terribly awkward at it. So we get on the lift and all is well right? Yeah, I was scared to death of falling all the way down the mountain... and I missed the part about how to get off the lift and totally face planted! Hello, mortifying! So then, I try to salvage a little dignity and got up and put my bindings on and started down the mountain. Well, my board would not move so I seriously scooted and hopped for like 50 feet trying to make it go. I was was hot and tired and then they realized because of the incline I was at, that it wasn't me... it was the board. So we went up to the little tower place and warmed it up. I guess there was ice on the bottom and it kept compacting it and making it unable to move. Once I finally was able to move, I did pretty good. That first run was probably hilarious to watch because I didn't have the "fall backwards" thing down at all and I face planted lots of times. It didn't hurt though because it had been snowing all morning and we'd sink quite a bit when we fell... oh, except for one time when I was totally getting the hang of it and was going pretty fast and didn't know which way to go for the trail and so fell. Oh man, my feet flipped over my head and I tumbled! Not gonna lie, that hurt. After that though I really got the fall backwards bit.The first run we went on was Gadzoom and it was definitley rough for me. I fell a lot for the first half and the flat parts killed my energy level, but Chris was really helpful and really patient showing me how to do it right. Then they were gonna try to start an avalanche so we all had to get back to the lodge. Funny thing is, I was taking forever and after a while the Ski Patrol came and after seeing that I wasn't dilly-dallying, gave me a piggy back ride back to the lodge. Then we sat at the lodge for an hour or so and went back out. This time we went on the Chickadee... the bunny hill :o) That was fine, but short, so then we went on the Wilbere and that was actually fun, I did really well, and enjoyed it a lot!!! I think part of it was that Chris brought in my feet an inch on both sides so I was able to handle the board better. Then he had to go. Brad and I went up some lift that just kept on going and when we got off, I was hungry, having not eaten all day and we plopped down to eat. It was fabulous, it was like falling into a pool, except I didn't have to move, and I didn't drown. :o) Another guy up there was a bit away from us and it was up to the tops of his hips, and all powder. I would have liked to have stayed right there and take a nap... but it wasn't long before it started to be cold. Me, being tired and hungry, was irritated that I was getting cold in my snow chair so I nixed the food idea and decided to go down and worry about food later. It was about 2pm then. My board would not pick up any momentum and when I got to a long fairly flat part, I spent the next 45 minutes to an hour hopping (literally hopping!) down that stinking hill. Seriously, I was so mad, and so tired, and so frustrated, I just wanted to cry. My legs were barely able to hold me, there was zero fun in it, and I was spent. I finally got to the part where it was steep downhill for quite a ways and once I realized I had no other way to get down except go off that blind ledge, I went for it and then again enjoyed the ride. It was steep and wide and very fun to go down. Once we got to the bottom we went to the lodge and got some water and hot chocolate, and chatted a while before heading home. All in all, it was really much harder than I thought it could be, but at the same time it was only my first day out and I did well considering, and it really was very fun! Today I'm sore all over, but will definitely go again soon!

1 comment:

  1. hey man! Sounds so fun! that guy in the black looks a little old for you.. please tell me its the other guy!! at any rate.. you look like a natural born ski bunny!

    ReplyDelete