2.24.2016

Comic Con? I'm not that Geeky... or maybe I am



Let me start this post by saying that in the summer of 2015, I was very content to be doing my own thing, enjoying being single and without dates, reading, working on some paintings, hosting family from out of town for much of it, and spending time with friends. Something very inconspicuous was about to change things in a big way, and really, start my life going in a whole different direction. I'd met someone the previous Halloween, at a party, and we connected on Facebook. One day in May, I saw that he had commented on a post by Salt Lake City Comic Con. It was an open audition/photo shoot to be on the promotional materials for the coming Comic Con in September. I submitted a few photos of myself in different superhero costumes I'd made for Halloween. A week or so later, I got an email requesting that I attend, and that I wear my Marvel Universe's Phoenix (Jean Grey) costume. I had nothing else going on the day of the shoot, so I went down and shot a few photos with a group of thirty or so others. It was supposed to be primarily for the billboard downtown. Some of the cosplayers were really legit. They had painstakingly crafted their costumes to perfection. I felt a little out of my league next to some of them in particular, but they welcomed me as one of their own. It was interesting the way we were shot. Instead of doing individual shots, and compiling them, we did group shots. So basically, if one of the 7 of us in the shot was blinking, or looked off, that picture was out. Some time later, a picture was taken of the completed billboard, and circulated between us. The billboard looked incredible, but alas, the picture they choose wasn't one I had been in.
Anyway, back to the shoot. We had a great time, and it was very interesting to see this community I had no idea existed. Quite a few of them regularly meet together to go visit kids in the hospital, and other various charity events. Some of them seemed like they hang out often, knew each other well, and some seemed to be bffs. Others seemed just as lost and alone as I was in this cosplay world. I enjoyed all of them, and became friends with a few of them on both sides of the "pro" line.

 Several weeks later, I got an email from the photographer. He said that I was selected to be on the promo material, and sent me the photo they were going to use. I was ecstatic! I had taken three single shots, and they liked one of them enough to use it!! They said they didn't know at the time just what they were going to use it for, just that they would. They also gave me two Gold Passes, that were good for all three days at the Con, for free! Well, I wanted to see what they were going to do with me, so of course I was going! The night before it opened, they asked me if I'd attend the opening press conference, so I went down a bit early, and did that. What fun it was to be a part of it! There were cameras everywhere, and quite a good number of the celebrities attended as well. I rubbed elbows with the other cosplayers, and enjoyed the experience, before going into the Con. 

Oh, I must say too, I met a man who is known as Spock Vegas (follow him on Facebook, he's rad) who became my Comic Con fiance the second day. Actually, it was kind of funny. We met at the press conference. We had been on stage during the main filming, and then we dispersed while the celebrities were giving their interviews. I vaguely remember some press asking me a question here or there about my costume, or what I was most looking forward to, but it was mostly photos. Anyway, So when Iwas coming off the stage, I was talking to someone, and I noticed Spock staring at me. Not in a weird or creepy way, more in an expectant way, like, won't I hurry and come over. When I did, the first words out of his mouth were, "Will you marry me?" Haha, "Of course!!" I said, without hesitation. And viola! It was settled!! :) It was going to be a marriage of universes, haha.


 The whole time we were at the Con, we referred to each other as fiance, darling, my love, or something like that. The second day, I saw him just after we all succeeded in being a part of the Guinness Book of Worlds attempt at having the most super heroes in the same place. He found me again, and in that most joyous moment... he proposed marriage! Hahaha! It was awesome. I was totally cracking up! He got down on one knee and asked for my hand with all the logic and lack of emotion I could only expect from my favorite Vulcan! He had brought a golden ring, and we didn't realize until later that he'd put it on the wrong hand. I don't suppose it matters that much in the scheme of things. It was so funny, because the people watching had no idea what was going on, and I think some of them thought it was a real proposal!




    There were so many costumes, some much better than others, some obviously thrown together, some just t-shirts of characters. It was so much fun to take pictures, and be the one being requested for a picture. Now, you may think it strange that I didn't wear the Phoenix costume on the first day, being that was the one they wanted me for. A friend of mine had given me a ticket to have pictures taken with Chris Evans, aka Captain America, and I wanted to be in my Black Widow costume for that, and a few other Avengers actors' photo ops, so I wore that the first and third day. Also, the heels for the Black Widow cosplay are sooooo much more comfortable than the ones for the Phoenix. The Phoenix ones are sewn into the costume, and the Black Widow ones could be taken off any time I needed them to be! Oh, to those of you reading this who saw the movies and see that I'm not wearing what Scarlett Johansson wore, mine is from the comic book, and from back in the day. I actually made the bodysuit to be a V for Vendetta costume, but with a change of accessories, it works  great for both. Also, if any readers are interested in how I made them, let me know, and I'll tell you. They were quite simple!



Another fun thing was the picture on this motorcycle. At that moment, I'd just seen a gorgeous bike, with Captain America stuff all over it. I didn't really think any more of it. Being that he and I are friends (at least our characters are) I wanted a picture sitting on it. When I went over to see about it, the guy said I could stand next to it, but I couldn't touch it. I told him I'd be realllllllly careful and I wouldn't put any discernible weight or pressure on it, and after I told him how much I weigh, he said I could sit on it, as long as I didn't move the wheel. Well, of course I wouldn't! What fun! A moment later, I was on the bike and we were both taking pictures! Then later I found out why it was so important to treat it like glass. This bike was the one Captain America rode in the Winter Soldier movie! Haha! That made more sense! Plus they were going to be doing a big presentation with it and Chris Evans later, so it had to stay perfect!

 
Now, you may be wondering what all they did with my photo. It was such a delightful surprise! When you arrive, you get a few treats and necessities in a goodie bag. One of them is a program of sponsors, events, booths, and activities... and that's the first thing I saw I was on. The front features the main celebrities, Chris Evans, Haley Atwell, and Sebastian Stan, aka Captain America, his girl, and the Winter Soldier. On the back was... Me!!!! Haha, they had put me in an advertisement for the after parties that were happening every night at the Sky Lounge (a club just down the street). I knew I was on Sky Lounge's website, but to get to be on the back cover of the program!?! That's Awesome!!!! Then, I found out I was on the tickets to get in to the after parties too! Basically, I was all over the after party... which suits me perfectly because I looooove to dance! And of course I went and danced my heart out all three nights! Another fun thing about that was that a few people asked me for autographs. I kinda had to laugh, because I'm not the slightest bit famous in any way, but sure I'll sign it! :)

A funny photo-op moment happened with Sean Patrick Astin, Samwise, from the Lord of the Rings, of course. The photo-ops are pretty quick and when I walked up to Sean, he asked me who my character was. To save my life, I had no idea! How do I not know my character?! I looked at his sweet smile, waiting for me to answer, and I paused, and then laughed as I said, "Oh my gosh, I actually have no idea right now!" He laughed and kept looking at me expectantly, waiting to take the picture until I'd figured it out. I looked down at my outfit... "Ummmmm, ohhhh! I'm the Phoenix... from X Men!!" We laughed and took the picture. Then he said, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that." Hahaha, such the nicest guy. He was really active in all the Con's activities, and was my favorite because of that, and our little personal moment. It would have been easy for him to brush it off, but he acknowledged me, and then waited for me to stop fangirling and answer.



We did lots of photo-ops, and I don't even have all of them in digital form yet. I have a great photo of Chris Evans with myself and some of my closest friends, but it's still just a hard copy. Oh, and Chris Evans was slimming down for a role at the time, that's why he looks a bit slim here :) Super dreamy regardless. The celebs were super nice, and it was fun to see them out and about too.



 This pair of cosplays is my creation. Some of you will remember that I made them for Halloween a few years ago. At the time, it was before the movie, Winter Soldier, had come out so nobody really knew who Peter was. Winter Soldier and Black Widow were a couple in the comics, so of course, with as sentimental as Peter is, he wanted to go as a couple's costume. By the time this picture was taken, at Comic Con, we'd been broken up for almost a year, but are still good friends, so we met up and took a few fun pictures :)
This next, and last, picture comes with a story...

The last day, I was standing in line waiting for photos with someone, and I saw Barf!! From Spaceballs!!! I had just had a dream about him a little while earlier in the year, and so I had to get a picture! For your reading pleasure, if you're not tired of reading, here is what happened in the dream. Feel free to let me know what kind of insights you gain into my psyche. 
In my dream, I was in a slot canyon, going along and marveling at the beauty of the colors and textures in the sandstone. I heard a strange noise, and knew I needed to get out of there. I was thinking flash flood, so I looked up and saw it would be really hard, if at all possible to climb out.I looked next to me, and a friendly black lab had come up to me. His owner followed shortly behind, saying something was coming and we needed to run! A second man, who was totally freaking out, followed just after the first. We all ran around a bend, and saw there was a shelf like protrusion we could hide under. The first man said we should hide there because what was coming wasn't water, it was a monster! He said we would be safe there because it could only sense movement. He and I got as far back under the ledge as we could. The second man refused, saying we needed a better place, and ran a few steps further before realizing it was too late, and came back. He quickly laid down and pressed tightly against the wall. He was unsheltered, and would be in full view when the monster came around the bend... but it was too late to do anything else! We heard the heavy trudging and shuffling coming closer to us, and the first man and I froze, perfectly still. Then we saw, growing on the wall in front of us, the shadow of a ferocious monster! It looked like a dragon against the red rock of the canyon. A huge, black shadow with fang, spikes, and long talons. The dog was barking and wagging his tail, trying to lure him further down the narrow slot, without stopping. The second man couldn't handle it. The dog ran by him, and as the monster came around the corner, the second man got up, and ran, screaming! As the monster ambled after him, I saw it. It didn't match it's shadow at all! It was Barf, from Spaceballs!!! He went on through the canyon, with his tail flopping behind him, and I woke up.

Fun huh :)
So, coming to the end, I'll tie everything in. I said at the beginning that this was the catalyst for a lot of change in my life. Like I said, I had been really content. I was very much enjoying getting back to some things in my life that were just mine. No dates to answer the same questions over and over. No going to do activities I felt obligated to do. I had three paintings going at once, and I'd alternate between them as the creativity compelled me to one or another. I was in pure bliss when my nephew came for a week and a half. My sister visited, and I needed nothing but to go to the Imagine Dragons concert with her and some of my other favorite people. Life was good... and quiet... and comfortable. I had forgotten how much I thrive in social settings. Social settings where I have a place. Social settings where we are all equals, and all expected to be our authentic selves, no matter what that means, We were all supposed to be geeking out about fictional characters and events in those characters' lives. Our authentic selves were pretending to be our characters for the children, and staying in character when we came upon our nemesis. We geeked out when we saw the people in the movies. We were expected to buy trinkets and souvenirs that we would put on our shelves, hang on our walls, and wear with pride. It was at this event that I rediscovered the joy I find in being authentically geeky. It was at this event that I rediscovered that I really enjoy talking to strangers... to strange people. I enjoy the creativity that is all around, and oozing out of everything and everyone in that building. I rediscovered that I need people. I rediscovered that I am a true extrovert, who thrives on crowds of people thronging together for the same purpose. I rediscovered that I love all of it. It was then that I put the paintings away. I chose a new hobby. I got back to the parts of me that I had forgotten were there. I rediscovered how much I really like me, and how much I really love me. Two weeks later, I was thrust into a current I couldn't get out of if I thought I'd have wanted to. I'm going to ride it far out to sea. What I've discovered since, makes this... just the beginning

1 comment: